Sunday, October 23, 2011

Haircuts and Races

This week has been incredibly eventful, incredibly fun, and incredibly exhausting.

It all started with a haircut. Now, this was no ordinary trim. Oh, no. This was a big-daddy haircut! This was a you-better-not-chicken-out haircut. A please-don't-be-too-attached-to-your-look-incase-it-doesn't-turn-out haircut.
Anyway.

I donated my hair! After a year and a half of growing it out, it was finally ready to be chopped off! The whole experience was exciting... and a little scary, I admit. But in the end, I'm really happy with how it turned out. Sometimes I have trouble not feeling like a boy, but I usually just over-compensate with makeup and girly clothes.



















The interesting thing with this haircut has been the overwhelming amount of compliments I've received. Typically, I would expect the majority of approvals to be from other girls my age. Mostly because another female chopping off her locks is usually received with thoughts like, "Girl power! A girl chopping off her hair is liberating! You go girl! Yeah! Don't be defined by stereo-typical standards of female beauty!" and all that other jazz.

This time around (of having short hair... because I've had short hair before), the majority of people in support of my new do were men. I thought that was so cool! It has really boosted my self-esteem and made me feel like a beautiful woman, despite social norms. That is a rare and wonderful feeling.

In other news, this weekend was the Title 9K race in Chicago! The all-women race took place in Lincoln Park near the lake, and was absolutely fantastic. The weather, though chilly in the early morning, was gorgeous, and we had a breath-taking lakeside view as we ran. There were over 800 women running the race, and the estrogen levels were high. Chocolate stations, bra stations, and moms and daughters everywhere--fun stuff.

I've been training for weeks now, and I was so thrilled with the results of the run. Even though it was challenging and felt long at the time, I didn't realize how much of an effect the adrenaline rush I was receiving had.

Normally I would run 5.6 miles (right around a 9K) in about 56 minutes.
This race? I ran 5.6 miles in 48 minutes. I was so confused by my time as I crossed the finish line. I was expecting to be around 60 minutes! Victory was mine, and I devoured it like a greasy, delicious sandwich.













The race was on Sunday, and I drove up with my running mates on Friday. We explored the beautiful cities of Wheaton and Naperville, shopping around at the way-too-expensive stores and virtually buying nothing. Then Sarah's older sister, Emily, took us out to downtown Chicago Saturday night. We went to Navy Pier, watched the fire works from the top of the ferris wheel, and then spent the night in a hotel near our race location. The best part? She payed for everything. It was an incredibly sweet gesture and made the whole trip that much sweeter.

But now, I'm back in Charleston, still feeling victorious, but also feeling like a bit of a failure because I devoured every last Luna Bar we were given for free at the race. I'm feeling a bit fat. But no more! Tomorrow I'm back on the same eating schedule I have been, which has been working incredibly well for me.

All in all, things are good. I feel accomplished.

I don't want to do homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment