Saturday, October 8, 2011

Running Forward

I have a strong habit of taking looong breaks of time between posts. It's just one of my many skills.

Without going through every boring detail between now and the last time I updated, I'll just hit some relevant highlights:

I am running. Running like a mad woman. I'm currently training for 2 races. One of them is October 23rd and is a 9K (kinda random distance, right?). The second is two weeks later in November. The November race is a 40 mile relay that I'll be dominating with three other people on my team. We're each running 10 miles.

The farthest I've ever ran at this point? 6 miles. I have some work to do.
Fortunately, I talked with one of my friends who has ran multiple half-marathons, and she assured me that once you can comfortably run 5 miles (I'm not sure when running becomes "comfortable"...), running 10 is just a matter of taking the time to do it.
This set my mind at ease... somewhat, because at the moment my body has forced me to take a break. After several weeks of adding significant distance, along with running 6 miles on Sunday and then 4 miles on Tuesday, shin splints kicked in with a vengeance I've never experienced.

After my 4 mile run this last Tuesday, I almost cried walking up the stairs to my apartment. I spent the next couple evenings with my legs elevated and bags of frozen corn and beans on my shins (ah, the glamour of college life). Since then I've focused on low-impact cross training and lots of stretching.

Let me also take a moment to explain my 6 mile run on Sunday...
This was the first time I'd ever gone that distance. I wasn't completely confident I'd be able to do it, but my roommate Megan and I decided to tackle the challenge together (she's running the 9K with me). We found a route on MapMyRun which was essentially a giant loop and decided that would be best. Once it got dark and cool, we went.

Something about running at night: Of course it's always good to have a running partner for safety in regards to dangerous people. But no one really warns you about low visibility coupled with dangerous terrain. This was therunning route/obstacle course from hell. At one point, there was a car driving towards us (which is completely blinding) and the sidewalk raised up at least an inch, which I did not see.
This created the perfect scenario for me to trip while in full running speed and hit the concrete.
















Whoops.

Anyway. School-wise, things are good. Classes aren't very challenging. The challenging thing about classes are... the people. We're all in the same classes, so gossip is nearly inevitable. That part gets a little old. I just try to be pleasant with everyone and keep my thoughts to myself.

Also, I'm leading a small group. Once a week with 22-year-olds and up. We're studying the book of 1 John, and it's going splendidly! I am so encouraged by how engaged and excited the girls are about digging in. We always have very productive and eye-opening discussion. Love my girls.

That's my life for now. I'm getting ready to go to work. Then it's back to school!
But hey, next weekend, all this hair is getting chopped. I know a lot of people aren't necessarily pro me cutting my hair.

But! Here are the pros and cons:

Pro: People say my hair is beautiful. I can grow it for the rest of my life. Someone who DOESN'T have hair can also have beautiful hair now, too.

Con: I won't be as pretty to SOME people. People who's opinion I probably don't value that much.

Pro: It allows me to place less importance on superficial beauty, and rock whatever I've got going on.

Con: ... Can't think of one!

Boom.

Just some thoughts. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment